Amana Living Incorporated and Amana Living Anglican Foundation Incorporated (together, Amana Living) operating as Amana Living Training Institute believe privacy is an important right of individuals. Amana Living Training Institute is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
Amana Living takes steps to protect the individual’s personal information from misuse and to use their information only in the ways described in this privacy statement and in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) and The Australian Privacy Principles (APP) Guidelines. This Privacy Statement explains how we collect, use, and disclose personal data when you visit our website, access our services, or interact with us.
Collection of Personal Information
We may collect personal information directly from you or automatically when you visit our website or use our services or visit our facilities. Some personal information is considered 'sensitive information' for the purposes of the Act. The types of personal information we may collect include, but are not limited to:
- Contact information (such as name, email address, phone number)
- Demographic information (such as age, gender, location)
- Government identifiers (such as Unique Student Identifier, tax file numbers)
- Financial and Payment details (such as credit card information)
- Information provided through surveys or feedback forms
- Health information
- Information about your preferences and interests and culturally specific information related to the delivery of services
- Information about your education and employment history
Subject to certain exceptions under the Act, we only collect sensitive information about you if you consent to the collection of the information and the information is reasonably necessary for one or more of Amana Living's functions or activities. The provision of sensitive information to Amana Living on a voluntary basis will be taken to be consent for this purpose.
In all cases, Amana Living will take reasonable steps to tell you why we are collecting your personal information and how it will be used at the time of collection.
Use of Personal Information
We use the collected personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide and improve our services to you (or for your benefit)
- to process and manage your enrolment in a Vocational Education and Training course (VET)
- to process your application for accommodation at one of Amana Living’s residential facilities or retirement villages
- to personalise your experience on our website
- to communicate with you regarding our services, updates, and promotions
- to process payments and fulfill orders
- to respond to your inquiries and provide customer support
- to conduct research and analyse usage patterns to enhance our services
- to comply with applicable laws, regulations, or legal proceedings
In some locations, we may use closed-circuit television (CCTV) systems for security and safety purposes which may capture and record visual images of individuals within the designated areas. CCTV footage remains the property of Amana Living and is deleted after 30 days.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- to trusted third-party service providers who assist us in operating our website, conducting business, or servicing you
- in response to legal requests, such as court orders or subpoenas, government agency requests or to comply with applicable laws and regulations. The National Vocational Education and Training Register Act 2011 (Cth) requires us to disclose the personal information we collect about you to the National VET Data Collection kept by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research LTD.
- to protect the rights, property, or safety of Amama Living, its users, or the public, as required or permitted by law
- third parties where you have given your consent (express or implied), including organisations for research purposes
- our professional advisors, contractors or other service providers whom Amana Living may engage from time to time to carry out, advise or assist with the carrying out of the business activities of Amana Living
Security and Storage
Amana Living takes reasonable steps to protect your data from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This includes appropriate physical and technological barriers and security measures to protect your personal information in both hard copy and electronic form.
Amana Living records all information posted to its social media pages and uses that information for the purposes of administering the pages, for record keeping, for considering and / or addressing any comments made and for running competitions and campaigns. No attempt will be made to further identify social media subscribers except where required by law.
Unless you request otherwise, Amana Living may also use your personal information for marketing purposes to send you news, information about our activities and general promotional material which we believe may be useful or of interest to you. All electronic communications will include an unsubscribe facility. If you do not want Amana Living to use your personal information in this manner, please contact us using the contact details provided below, we will give action your request as soon as possible, or within 30 days.
Access and correction to Personal Information
Subject to any exceptions in the Act, if you have provided Amana Living with personal information, you have a right to request access to the personal information we hold about you. If you would like to exercise this right or have any questions regarding your personal data, please contact us using the information provided below. We may require additional information from you to verify your identity before fulfilling your request.
Once Amana Living has notified you of the nature of the personal information relating to you which we hold, we will give you access to your personal information in the manner requested by you, if it is reasonable and practicable to do so.
We do not levy a charge in respect of the making of a request for access to personal information held by us. However, we may charge you for the reasonable costs incurred by us in providing you with access to the personal information held by us.
The Act provides instances where a holder of personal information may refuse to provide an individual with access to their personal information. If Amana Living refuses to give you access to your personal information, we will give you a written notice that sets out our reasons for the refusal and the mechanisms available to complain about our refusal.
Amana Living takes reasonable steps to keep your personal information as accurate, complete and up to date as possible. Every effort is made to ensure this data is of high quality, you can assist Amana Living by notifying us if your circumstances change. If you wish to amend/correct your personal information held in your health record, you should make your request in writing using the contact details below.
Notifiable Data Breaches (NDB)
Amana Living has information security obligations under the Act and must notify the Australian Information Commissioner (Commissioner), and individuals whose information was involved, about eligible data breaches. Once Amana Living has reasonable grounds to believe there has been an eligible data breach, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances and as required under the NDB scheme, including:
- investigating the suspected breach and determining the scope of any breach that has occurred and the risk of harm to affected individuals whose information may have been compromised
- notifying the individual involved and the Privacy Commissioner of the potential breach where required; and
- taking steps to minimise any harm caused to affected individuals because of the breach.
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement, except where a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
If you wish to make a complaint about a breach of your privacy by Amana Living, you should contact us using the details below. All complaints will be investigated by an appropriately qualified representative of Amana Living. We will assess your complaint as quickly as possible, usually within 30 days. We will notify you of the outcome of the investigation, including how we propose to resolve your complaint and what, if any, corrective measures we will implement.
If you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint, you may lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). For more information about doing so, visit: http://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/making-a-privacy-complaint
Changes to the Privacy Statement
We may update this Privacy Statement from time to time. The updated version will be posted on our website, and the revised effective date will indicate the date of the latest changes. We encourage you to review this Privacy Statement periodically.
Last updated July 2023
If you have any questions, concerns, or requests regarding this Privacy Statement or our privacy practices, including how to request access to the data we hold about you, please contact us at:
Postal Address: PO Box 933 Subiaco WA 6904
Customer Service: 1300 26 26 26
By using our website or services, you acknowledge that you have read and understood this Privacy Statement and consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information as described herein, including the use of CCTV recording in some locations, in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.